BOA Editions publishes literary short fiction through its American Reader Series. While aesthetic quality is subjective, the fiction that BOA publishes will be written by authors more concerned with the artfulness of their writing than the twists and turns of plot (i.e., the majority of genre writing such as mystery, science fiction, horror, etc.). As with our poetry, the first criterion for publishing any book will be its artistic excellence.
Our strongest current interest is in short story collections (and short-short story collections). We strongly advise you to read our first published fiction collections and previous winners of the BOA Short Fiction Prize.
The American Reader Series also remains a venue for works of prose about poetry and poetics.
- Submissions will be accepted through Submittable and via post.
- Submit only one book-length, complete manuscript at a time. Page count is open, but 300 pages should be considered the high end.
- Manuscript should be double spaced.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Note simultaneous submissions in your cover letter and notify BOA immediately should your submission be accepted elsewhere.
- Include relevant publishing history in you cover letter.
- In the case of literary fiction, include a brief synopsis or description of the work. Do not send a query. Send the complete manuscript.
- There is no submission fee associated with this reading period.
Thank you for your interest in submitting your manuscript to the 17th annual A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize!
Judge: D. A. Powell
The A. Poulin, Jr. Poetry Prize is awarded to honor a poet's first book, while also honoring the late founder of BOA Editions, Ltd., a not-for-profit publishing house of poetry and poetry in translation.
- Book publication by BOA Editions in spring 2019
- $1,000 honorarium
Contest Period: August 1 – November 30, 2017
*Submission fee: $25
*Please note that submission fees allow us to offer a $1,000 honorarium and also to offset the cost of publishing and promoting the winning collection. As a non-profit literary publishing house, we understand that submission fees can be difficult to accommodate. Please know that 100% of your fee will go toward supporting the publication of an excellent poetry collection and to supporting BOA’s mission to bring the highest quality literature into the world. All submissions will be carefully read, reviewed, and considered for this prestigious prize. Thank you for your understanding.
- Submissions are invited only through Submittable or post mail. We do not have the staff capacity to read or respond to manuscripts that are submitted by email.
- Submit one copy of the manuscript and the $25 entry fee between August 1 and November 30, 2017.
- Entrants must be a U.S. citizen, a legal resident of the U.S., or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or Legal Permanent Status (LPS).
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Only manuscripts by poets who have yet to publish a full-length book collection of poetry will be considered.
- Translations and collaborative manuscripts are not eligible.
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, chapbooks, or self-published books, but must be submitted in manuscript form. Any published books of poetry disqualify contestants from entering this contest, though books published in other genres do not.
- Employees, volunteers, and board members of BOA Editions, Ltd., or their partners, spouses, or immediate families, are not eligible to submit.
- Per the Publishing Contest Ethics, as advanced by the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP), any person who has studied poetry in a formal program with the Final Judge—through a college, university, community program, residency, or private tutorial, within the last two years—is not eligible to submit a manuscript to this contest.
- Authors of BOA titles in other genres and
translators who have been under contract with BOA are not eligible to submit.
- Minimum of 48 pages; maximum of 100 pages
- At least 11pt. font
- Name, address, telephone number, and email address must appear on the title or cover page of the manuscript.
- Do not send artwork or photographs.
- Paginated consecutively with a table of
- Attach publication acknowledgments, if any.
- Neither late nor early manuscripts will be accepted.
- Contestants may submit the manuscript elsewhere simultaneously, but must notify BOA Editions immediately if a manuscript is accepted by another publisher.
- Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. The winner will be given the opportunity to revise before publication.
- Contestants may submit more than one manuscript, but a separate entry fee and entry form must accompany each manuscript.
Answers to FAQs:
- The winner will be announced in spring 2018.
- The winning manuscript will be published in
spring 2019, in an original paperback edition and an e-book edition of the the New Poets of America Series.
- The winner will retain full copyright of her/his work.
- The honorarium will be awarded in two parts: one part upon receiving a signed contract, the second part upon publication.
Physical submissions can also be sent by post mail. Please visit BOA's website for complete mailing guidelines.